Delivered by Jeremy Gimbel on Dec. 1, 2015 (World AIDS Day) at Founders Metropolitan Community Church

I was introduced to AIDS on December 24th, 9 PM, Eastern Standard Time when I learned about the musical “RENT” by Jonathan Larson. For the first time, this unknown “thing” I had heard about on the news had a face and, more importantly, a story, an experience.

As I learned more and more about HIV and AIDS, I knew that I had to do everything in my power to care for those affected, both the patients and their families and communities. I knew that I had to do everything in my power to make sure that my peers were informed from reputable sources, that the stigma of those with HIV/AIDS would be mitigated, that my generation could face this head-on and work together to bring a little more light into this dark world.

I knew I needed to be an ally.

And I knew I was not alone. The Reform Movement of Judaism has committed to and lived out the values of our tradition: visiting the sick, saving lives, acts of loving kindness are not just buzz words, they are in our DNA. And they have remained our guiding principles in dealing with this epidemic. Judaism has always rejected the idea that AIDS is any sort of plague or punishment from God.

On the contrary, the Reform Movement has been vocal in advocating for those with AIDS from the early days, passing its first resolution dealing with HIV/AIDS in 1985 - and to all of you wondering, no, I was not yet alive when that happened. The Reform Movement was an ally that advocated for increased government interventions, fighting for public health efforts as well as advocating for those with AIDS and their families so they would not be discriminated when they sought housing, employment, health and community services, and public education. (URJ Resolution, 1985)

And you have an ally in Congregation Kol Ami. Kol Ami has done outreach and group support for people with HIV/AIDS since our founding, running the only Jewish support group in the nation. But I am here not only representing the community of Kol Ami, but also our spiritual leader, Rabbi Denise Eger. Rabbi Eger has been an AIDS activist since the mid-80s, editing the first curriculum on HIV/AIDS put out by the Reform Movement in 1987. As the president of the governing body of Reform rabbis, Rabbi Eger has advocated extensively for LGBT rights, and helped shepherd the resolution that just passed a few weeks ago by the leaders of the Union for Reform Judaism, that advocates for transgender rights, joining similar statements from the Episcopal Church, the United Church of Christ, the Unitarian Universalist Association and the Reconstructionist Rabbinical Association.

My new friends, today, I am reminded of the words from Ecclesiastes: “In the days of prosperity, be joyful; in the day of adversity, consider.” (Ecc. 7:14) And I am guided by Rabbi Tanchum ben Chiyya, who taught, “In the happy days of your neighbors, be with them in their happiness; if a day of tragedy befalls your neighbor, consider how you can show the neighbor loving kindness to deliver the neighbor from their tragedy.” (Pesikta Kahana 191b). We all have had tragic days. But through the power of working together, we have shown each other the loving kindness to deliver us all from the AIDS virus.

This is the power of working together.

The Festival of Lights, Chanukah, is approaching. This Sunday, we will light our Chanukah menorahs. And on that night, shortly after sundown, we will light two candles. Why two? We light one candle because it is the first night of Chanukah, and we will add one more light every night. But the other candle is just a helper candle, called the “shamash.” It’s only job is to light the other lights. The “shamash” is an ally to the other lights. It helps them burn brightly. When the sun sets early, the Chanukah menorah lights up our nights. It brings warmth and joy to our faces in our darkest times. And it would not be possible without allies.

This is the power of working together.

There is much work to be done. There is much pain to be healed.

But in this season of love, let us recommit ourselves to be each other’s allies.

Let us be each other’s “shamash,” each other’s helper.

Let us bring a little more light into this world.

This is the power of working together.

Comments

The last paragraph sounds really great! I'll be checking out for the future updates. Keep in mind - you may simply forward your homework request to us and one of our experts will be eager to assist you with it. It's cheap and affordable!

02/02/2017 3:14am

Testomenix the promotional pens may be easily adorned or imprinted with company's logo call message and slogan. pen is the necessity of each expert this is the Testomenix motive why it's miles used extensively as promotional gift.laptop add-ons.

04/04/2016 12:51am

05/01/2016 5:55pm

When people find out that you have a HIV/AIDS disease, they would despise you immediately because you have a contagious disease. I admit that I would be one of those people but when I read this article, I realized that we should help them as much as we can to be able to continue on with their lives. It doesn't mean that when a person has AIDS, they don't have the right to live like normal people. I really salute all the people who help the ones with AIDS to come out into the world. We can be united in helping to deliver these people and we should also remove from our minds the thoughts that they don't belong in the same world with us. I believe there is power in working together!

02/02/2017 11:28pm

Alpha Monster Advanced that is why you need protein supplements.with that stated but it's also critical to understand that a protein complement is not a substitute Alpha Monster Advanced for meals it's far an addition to meals. it's also crucial to realist that a protein complement.

02/03/2017 5:16am

You will be unable to meet the month to month lodging installment with the abatement in your pay income and that may incite them to do a dispossession on your new house. A dispossession is never useful for both your moneylender and you.

02/04/2017 12:12am

Biogenic XR even have interaction with the glad guys who've been the use of the product. the x4 extender forum is a place for guys to be open approximately their penis size Biogenic XR without hesitations. more guys agree with x4 labs because it's miles.

02/06/2017 1:28am

Alpha Monster Advanced higher in the course of education preventing you from cramps.don't forget to heat up on a bigger scale as well-in case you are unconditioned Alpha Monster Advanced start out gradual and paintings your way up to more difficult and more intense physical interest.

02/06/2017 11:10pm

Alpha X Boost the actual quantity of mass received in a yr might be everywhere from 5 to twenty five pounds of muscle. this but depends on plenty of different factors. Alpha X Boost as mentioned previously training maturity is a massive thing.

02/07/2017 11:32pm

Azienda Collagen Serum so you ought to do what you could for preventing eye wrinkles.while you are making use of your eye cream or gel you have to make Azienda Collagen Serum certain that you use a completely gently method. in no way pull at the skin around your eyes.

02/08/2017 11:17pm

Alpha Monster Advanced heavy weight and coffee rep bodybuilding sessions do produce large extra dense searching muscle tissues so it is no marvel that maximum Alpha Monster Advanced who reap muscle building success carry out as a minimum a mild percent.

Alpha Monster Advanced power training has a lot to do with preference and set exercises. whilst you are electricity schooling with weights you want to recognize Alpha Monster Advanced that you are using your muscle mass to work towards the greater pounds that you added on.

02/13/2017 7:42am

Working together or working as a team has a lot of difference with working as an individual. You can make many achievements while working as a team.

02/16/2017 11:34pm

This blog is really helpful for my database. It enhanced the area of my thoughts and pushed me beyond the boundaries. Work ethic of every point is different and represent a new way to improve myself.

04/12/2017 4:08am

Collaboration has a great power. Because every individual has it's own strong sides that you can use.